Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tis the season to give.......

In October I embarked on a coat drive for my work. I decided that we would collect coats for the month of October and distribute them on October 29. By October 15, I had not received the amount of coats that I expected. I had been on the radio and in the paper, put out donation bins, etc, but coats were just not coming in.

I knew I needed to change my whole attitude and game plan. I asked myself where to go. I started emailing schools, more newspapers, putting up flyers, recruiting volunteers, telling everyone I knew! In the last 2 weeks we've brought in over 100 additional coats! We're at 154 right now and it's only getting better and better.

I am so surprised and thankful for the outpouring of generosity from the community. The community has embraced us and helped with this amazing cause. Now, over a hundred people will have a warm coat for the winter. It is so fantastic!

Thought for the day: How can you give back to your community? This season there will be a lot of opportunities. Choose one (or all!) and give back!

-Angel Trees
-Donations at Supermarkets
-Volunteer at Soup Kitchen/Food Pantry
-Donate a coat!
-Donate $10 worth of food to a food drive (Most cans are $.50 apiece! that's 20 cans of food for $10!)
-Salvation Army takes clothes, furniture, etc.
-Donate your change!
-Round up! Lots of restaurants are offering "round up for a cause" when you order something. Will you really miss that extra $.86 cents?

No comments:

Post a Comment