Monday, October 4, 2010

Laylan's Easy Tortilla Soup

Today I was feeling horrible. I decided that what I needed was a warm bowl of soup to fill my tummy. I've cooked since I was little but I am constantly improving my recipes and making new ones to fit my individual tastes. Here's my super easy, semi-homemade tortilla soup recipe. Try it out!
Laylan's Tortilla Soup
3/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tbsp minced garlic
1 can canned chicken
1 can reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 lg can crushed tomatoes
1 can kernel corn
1 Taco Seasoning Packet

Toppings, as desired:
Sour cream
cheddar cheese
Sliced Avocado
Tortilla Chips

1. Heat 2 tsp olive oil on stove in soup pan. When hot, add garlic and onion and cilantro. Cook for 1-2 min.
2. Add chicken, chicken broth, tomatoes and corn. Let simmer for a few minutes. The liquid will reduce down a bit.
3. Add 1/2 taco seasoning packet along with a few dashes of salt and pepper.
4. Cook until all is heated thoroughly. (5-10 min) and as much liquid is reduce down as you'd like. (The higher the heat, the quicker it will go)
5. Ladel into bowls. Add shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips on top. Add chunks of avocado on top of everything. 

For added spice, you can add some hot pepper flakes, slices of jalapenos and cumin.

Avocado is so great in this recipe because it melts in your mouth with the soup!! YUM!

Bon Apetit!





No comments:

Post a Comment