Saturday, June 16, 2012

Thanks, Dad.

Father's Day is tomorrow and I feel I really need to thank my Dad for some of the things in my life.

Thanks for supporting me, always. He's always there when I need to talk, vent, cry. He's my biggest fan, bragging about me to his friends and coworkers. His face lights up when he sees me. He never says, "Hey that was a really dumb decision", but instead, offers advice and gentle guidance when needed.

Thanks for letting me make my own decisions. He's always encouraged me to be a free thinker, to know what I believe and never waver for it. He didn't kill me when I flipped my car into a ditch three weeks after I got my license. He let me form all of my own opinions about politics, the way the world works, and people. Sometimes I see kids that are 10 or so that are so judgmental of anyone who's different. It breaks my heart. I vow to raise my kids to be accepting of everyone, no matter race, religion or reputation- give everyone a chance. They might surprise you.

Thanks for showing me what true love really is. My parents were married for over 20 years. I still struggle with their divorce sometimes, but when they were together, they were a power couple. They always had each other's backs- they kissed each other like teenagers (which was totally gross). They seemed like puzzle pieces that fit into each other- never interdependent on each other, but loved being with each other. Seeing that kind of love growing up set the stage for my relationships later on. I expect nothing less than a relationship that is still full of love after so long. And no matter what happened in the end, they both still refer to me as their "love child".

Thanks for loving Adam. This one is so important to me because I always silently held my breath when my dad met my boyfriends. I have been so delighted to see that Adam and my dad have become so close. The two most important men in my life loving each other is the absolute best thing that could happen. They talk about music, movies, and whatever else comes up. They hug each other when my dad leaves, which is something I've rarely seen my dad do- to anyone other than family. I see a lot of my dad in Adam- the rebellious spirit, the cravings for culture, the witty responses, the intelligence.

On this Father's Day, thank you for being a great dad- from the moment I was born, throughout my rebellious teenage years, through heartbreaks and job loss. Thanks for always being there.

This painting is of a photo of us when I was a baby.
I had it painted last year for Father's Day.
Dad likes it so much that he had it framed and shows everyone
who walks into his house.

1 comment:

  1. Laylan, I love your dad too. We are so blessed having him in our lives. You are his treasure and I soooo respect the love he has for you. You are just as remarkable as he. God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete