Saturday, October 22, 2011

Love your tatas.

As everyone knows, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. If you don't know, have you been living under a rock? With all of the pink floating around, it looks like someone spilled a million gallon vat of Pepto! I have somewhat of a problem with everyone commercializing the month- even in the name of charity.

But, I digress. The Susan G. Komen Foundation has done a lot for breast cancer awareness, and that was part of the reason that I applied to work with them in 2010. I drove to Wichita, KS and interviewed in a 2nd round interview and was a finalist to becoming an Education Coordinator with them. It was my dream job.

There are two reasons that I care so deeply about breast cancer awareness.

The first is that I have breasts, and I feel that everyone should be aware of their body. The girls and I have been together since they came onto the scene when I was in third grade, and I was the only one in Mrs. Lankford's class to have breasts, strapped in by a hot pink sports bra. I remember looking down my shirt all day, that first day, because I was in awe of what was growing there. I was the only girl in my class (that I knew of) that was wearing a bra at this time. None of my friends could relate. In fact, no one could really relate to me until I was in sixth grade, when my friends were getting theirs. By 8th grade, I was a DD. By the time I graduated high school I was a DDD.

I got a lot of attention for my breasts and still do to this day. I used to try to cover them as much as possible, as they were a source of embarrassment. T-Shirts stopped fitting right, and still don't, dresses that fit me on top are too large on bottom. Many tear soaked shopping trips with my mother happened between ages 9 and 17.

I was a freshman in high school when I really started owning my breasts. I started to wear more revealing clothing but always tried to maintain modesty. However, that wasn't always so simple. I had to layer shirts as regular shirts would show too much.

The second reason is that my grandmother is a breast cancer survivor. When I was in high school, I heard through the family grapevine that she was going through treatment. She didn't tell me at first, and she didn't tell me when it came back when I was in college. She said that she didn't want to distract me from my studies, but I wanted to be there for her. Since she's gone through this, we've become much closer. She's a true fighter- she fought it tooth and nail and has now been several years in remission.

Because I have large, dense breasts and my grandmother is a survivor, there are obvious concerns that I might also get it. There are options for testing for the breast cancer gene, which can tentatively predict if one may develop breast cancer. Some who have discovered that they have this mutation elect to have hysterectomies and masectomies (breast removal). I have elected not to be tested for this gene. I simply do not feel ready to take the necessary steps, if I am positive for the gene. I also do not live my life in fear.

I get yearly breast exams by my doctor and I have been sent for three ultrasounds and one mammogram, all came back negative. It was quite odd, being 22, at a mammogram machine. So odd, in fact, that even though I was referred by my physician, my insurance wouldn't cover it.

I worry about it sometimes, but we cannot control these things. All we can do is be diligent by monthly self-exams (this is how my grandmother found her lump that led to the removal of the breast). You cannot wait for your yearly exam to have your doctor catch it. They're your breasts- you are responsible for their health and well-being! Take care of your tatas. They're the only (natural) ones you get!

1 comment:

  1. Laylan,
    I, at the age of 31, have already had 4 separate surgeries to remove "possibly malignant" tumors. Thankfully, all of them have come back benign to this point. I had the first surgery at the ripe old age of 23. The point here is had it not been October, and had the Breast Cancer Awareness PSAs not been running, I may have lost a battle with it myself. Women in their early 20s, unless there is a family history of course, simply think they are too young and that it's nothing to worry about. I happened to hear a PSA that was centered on women under 30 an decided it was time to go get it checked out. I understand and respect how you feel about commercializing on the issue, but the education that comes with it is priceless! P.S. I love your blog :-) --Mary Taylor

    ReplyDelete