Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Baby Lisa

Last week, 10-month-old baby Lisa Irwin disappeared from her Kansas City, Missouri home. Her parents claim that an intruder came into their home, and took baby Lisa and their cell phones. If you're not familiar with this story, you can click here to read about it.

As the Amber Alert was issued early Tuesday morning, panic spread across Facebook- my news feed was covered with online flyers and news stories. As spectators we sunk our teeth into every piece of new information that surfaced. We watched the videos of the news conferences, we tried to be "internet sleuths"- we picked apart each quote, each scenario, each facial expression. We tried to solve it in our minds. Why? Because a story like this is bizarre.

Soon, we turned on the parents. Comments turned from horror to accusatory- "she had something to do with it" graced our lips. The first day, we already wanted closure. We reasoned in our minds that a baby would never be kidnapped out of their home by a complete stranger, a la Raising Arizona. We also reasoned that if this unlikely scenario did happen, then the baby would be safe and unharmed.  We waited each day for it to come to a happy ending... but it didn't.

One thing that I have a really hard time with is realizing that some people are, inherently evil, or made so by their environment. While I thought Casey Anthony was guilty, I couldn't wrap my mind around someone who'd do these horrible things. When BTK surfaced, I fought my heart with my mind- he seemed so nice, so unassuming- there's no why he could do these things. I felt bad when his wife left him. I think it speaks to the fact that we all have some naivety in our minds, in our hearts. I'd say I have a pretty good grip on reality, and yet I just can't come to terms with this kind of evil.

It's hard for me to believe that this mother killed her baby. But I can't think of any other reason she'd make up a story such as this. Accidents happen; if the baby fell or passed away, the parents might fear the police but they still should have been called. The story is strange and someone knows where she is and what happened to her. I think about this all the time. I Google it from my phone, first thing in the morning, in case I missed an update. At this point, all it is is speculation. Everyone's speculating, probably even the police. No one knows where to go from here.


I think this is what's so hard about this case.. .as humans we like closure. We want a night, tied up, pretty package. Motive. Means. Opportunity. We don't have that here, which is so frustrating.
Where is Baby Lisa?




No comments:

Post a Comment