Monday, June 6, 2011

I fell in love over the weekend.

I fell in love with Adam all over again this weekend. I think that there's some sort of camraderie that forms when you work side by side together. I've noticed how close I feel to him when we work out at the gym, and it was the same kind of bond that we had as we unpacked and organized donations this weekend.

We cried together as we drove through Joplin, we got angry together when we saw tourists snapping pictures of the rubble. As we met his family, he smiled at me with this geniune adoration as I told stories I've told a million times. A weekend away from the hustle and bustle of our routine and our every day lives was exactly what we needed.

When I look at his grandfather, I see Adam. I can imagine Adam at 90 years old, because that's Chester. He's wise, smart, cultured, and witty. He loves his family but he's anything but naive. Last week someone said to me, "Adam really is charming. The first time I met him, I knew he was very intelligent." That's exactly how I felt when I met him. He was well-read; an eloquent speaker; he was wonderful. He is wonderful.

He makes me smile and laugh, and I am so glad we had this weekend together because it really put us back together. The stresses of our lives melted away. It was the simple things this weekend; driving together for three hours; stopping at the cheese factory for samples and Adam telling me he'd buy me the $13 block of Gruyere if I wanted it, and me, politely declining because it was too much; getting Olive Garden desserts to go and sitting with our legs crossed on the bed, plastic silverware in front of us, Adam spooning himself a bite and then watching the look on my face when I tasted the delicious cake. He smiles- a geniune, loving, sweet, wonderful smile. It's easy. It isn't forced.

He adores me, and I kinda like him too.

No comments:

Post a Comment