Sunday, November 24, 2013

A Well-Fed Newlywed: Homemade Noodles

Happy Thanksgiving Week everyone! This year, we are celebrating Thanksgiving with my side of the family. What's for lunch, you ask?

Oh, you know. Turkey. Stuffing (I call it stuffing even though my mother never actually put it in the turkey), Gravy. And noodles! My grandma Bettie and my grandma Pat always made noodles for holidays, and everyone looks forward to them each year. This year, for my bridal shower, I received the most amazing gift- a recipe book from Adam's family. In it were recipes from every branch of the family- cousins, aunts, in laws! There were even recipes from Deneise, Adam's mom, who passed away in 1994.

So about a week ago Adam asked me what dish we were bringing for the holiday, and he said that his mother used to make noodles. I started flipping through the book, and low and behold- there was Deneise's noodle recipe! As soon as I told Adam the recipe was in there, he insisted I make them. But the recipe looked so incredibly simple! How could this 5 ingredient recipe yield such a yummy dish?

Today we decided to make a "practice batch" of homemade noodles and chicken (even though Adam insists that chicken has no business being in the noodles). To my surprise, they were so simple- nothing to them! Without further adieu, I share my mother in law's noodle recipe- with a few little twerks added for the chicken!


Note: You can serve these on their own, or my personal favorite, over buttery mashed potatoes. My Grandma Pat used to make the two together and she still does if I'm sick! (Shout out to Grandma!) 



Deneise's Homemade Noodles


1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp milk
1 cup flour
Chicken stock/broth

Combine 1 beaten egg, 1/2 tsp salt, and 2 tbsp milk. Add 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour. Roll very thin on floured surface. Let stand 20 minutes. Roll up loosely, slice 1/4 inch wide, unroll, spread out and let dry 2 hours.


Cut with a pizza cutter into smaller section of noodles (we like them the size of a pinky finger). Drop by handfuls into boiling stock or salted water and cook uncovered for about 10 minutes. Stir often to prevent sticking. The amount of chicken stock you need depends on how soupy you like your noodles. It will reduce. We started with a full container of chicken stock and 1/3 box of chicken broth. Add more if necessary! Your noodles will expand and soak up the broth. Add salt & pepper to taste.

To add chicken: Boil your chicken in the chicken stock, remove from pot, shred it with a fork, and set aside. Add the noodles, cook through, add the chicken at the end.

 Makes 3 cups cooked noodles.


Family Recipe Book; Mixing Bowl/spoon, eggs, milk, salt, flour. You can't tell but my measuring cups are these wonderful little M Cups that modeled after the Russian Dolls that fit into each other! They are so great and were given to me by my friend Anna!


Adam cracking the egg to start the dough! 

Rolling out the dough onto the floured surface. If it sticks, make sure that your rolling pin is floured. You cannot overflour! It's that easy. 

After rolling and slicing, they are long noodles. I made three horizontal cuts in these noodles to make them shorter and more "spoon sized"! 







No comments:

Post a Comment