Monday, May 7, 2012

Employment

This post is about a week overdue, and unfortunately, due to the nature of the position, I cannot be specific about where I work. Update: I realized that I didn't even say what I do! I can say that part. I'm a full time event planner. It's incredibly rewarding and right up my alley- I plan and execute up to 30 events a month and I am so, busy busy busy! But that's why I say this is "the job". Exactly what I was looking for and made for me. And the best part is that for the first time in my adult working life, a supervisor has said to me, "I am so glad you're here." She loves my ideas and I love the feedback!

This started about two weeks ago, when I was called in for two interviews on one day. I accepted both interviews. The first was a bright, sunny office with a lot of smiling, happy people. I connected with my interviewer immediately and felt very confident about our interview. I left in very good spirits.

The second interview was so much different. Let's just say that if this is was a movie, it would be in dark, saturated blue tones. I walked in and people were sullen, looked depressed. I had to hand write an application, which took a good half hour. Then I was called downstairs into a dank room where I was interviewed by three people: first, a jolly old lady that smiled and laughed at everything I said. Second, a woman who looked very no-nonsense. No makeup, straight, pinned back hair, very little smile. Third, a very attractive man who welcomed me with a warm handshake.

This interview consisted of three questions. And after I answered each, the man cocked his head to the side and said, "Really. That's what you'd do?" I couldn't wait to get out of that interview.

I figured it would be a few days before I heard back, but at 8:00 pm the next night, I heard from the first interview- offering me the job! I took a drug test the next day and waited until Monday, which the drug testing lady said would be the absolute latest for results. I didn't hear until Tuesday, late afternoon that I'd be starting the next day.

Remember in the last job post tha I wrote that I was looking for "the job"? I feel like this job is that job. It combines some of my favorite things- event planning, outreach, community service, and just plain fun. Like I said before, I am not allowed to divulge a lot of information about the company due to the highly sensitive nature of it. I enjoy the job a lot and I feel that I can bring a lot to the position.

And while I like the job, I have to say that I have been dealing with some serious anxiety about going back into the workforce. Part of it is learning new personalities, rules (this position is unlike any other job- they do everything different) job responsibilities. It's a bit overwhelming, but I think in the next two weeks I will definitely be into the swing of things. Each day I'm feeling better about it, as I get more comfortable in where I am. Still, there's something in the back of my head, this anxiety I can't shake. When I didn't have a job I felt like such a failure- and I just don't want to be back in that place.

So here's the start to something wonderful... as always, thank you for your love and support. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment