Tuesday, April 17, 2012

My Best Friend

Roxy (top) and Cora (bottom) cuddle on the couch.
Even though the phrase "Man's Best Friend" originated from my own hometown, I never truly felt that way about any dog until about a year ago when I adopted Cora, a pitbull lab mix, from the local shelter. I've always been an animal lover, but I have never found an animal that has loved me unconditionally (I have a 12 year old cat who's always been a bit crochety- one minute she's purring and licking my hand and the next I'm searching for a bandaid for my gushing hand that she sunk her teeth into) until Cora.

At first, I didn't put much stock in her. She and I didn't connect at all. She didn't really like people, and she respected that I fed her twice a day and let her outside, but we weren't buddies. I felt frustrated with her. Why didn't she like me? I realize now, that I was earning her respect and trust.

Cora is the best friend I have ever had. Her loyalty is unwavering, her protection of me is fierce, and her kisses are so gentle. When I get ready for bed, she jumps up and  throws her body against mine and sinks in, as if to get as close to me as possible. She lays her head in the crook of my arm, reaching up to lick my cheek, or my hand, just to let me know she's there and she loves me.

She's never more than a few feet from me (sitting near my feet right now), and when I get up, she does too. Alert, ready to be of service if I call her name. When I sit, she settles back down into her spot. She's grateful for everything I give her, from scratches behind her ear, to an extra treat snuck under the table away from Adam.  When I'm sick, she doesn't leave my side, cuddled into me and sleeping for as long as I need to.

I see a dog that is grateful- happy for a home, happy for someone to love and for someone that adores her. I am so happy that I chose shelter adoption, rather than getting a puppy from a breeder. There's nothing more perfect than the somewhat lab, somewhat pitbull mutt that I have. She's perfect inside and out, and she has given me more than I ever love than I could have ever imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment