Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Last Kiss

This morning, my best friend said to me, "Soon we will only be kissing one man for the rest of our lives!" and I replied, "I'm okay with that." It was the first time I had really thought about it, but yeah, I am okay with that. It wasn't always like this... in fact, when I met Adam, I didn't think it would amount to anything. You can read about our chance meeting here.

When I met him, I was a senior in college with one semester to go, and ready to leave this town. He was perfectly content as a partier who didn't go to school or work. It's funny how your priorities change when you fall in love. I expected us to date, have a sweet little fling, and for it to end amicably when I moved away. He knew this and we were okay with it. Of course, as you've learned from any romantic comedy/chick flick, it never works out like that. In April 2010 I was a finalist for a job in Wichita Kansas, 3 hours away. Since Adam doesn't drive, we knew this would be the end of us. Then: panic set in. Neither of us wanted me to get that job. And, I didn't. That's the turning point.

Soon after, Adam and I moved in together and he started college. He has flourished in school; bringing home GPAs as high as 3.57. I never got that in college! Most importantly, we've grown as a couple... into a team. We recently went through a tragedy with our furbabies Roxy and Trixie. They escaped and Trixie was killed and Roxy was hit by a car, and will have her leg amputated on Friday, which will be her third surgery for her leg. Adam was my rock during those depressing weeks where I wouldn't get out of bed and chose crying over anything else.

Last night, my Zumba class had a Sweetheart Zumba and we got to bring our significant others. Only three guys showed up- Adam, the instructor's husband, and another couple. Adam was timid at first but made it through the whole class and was actually pretty good! I was SO proud of him for going outside his comfort zone and doing something for me.

Since my parent's divorce I've never been calm about marriage. Frankly it raises my blood pressure and makes me antsy. I had frequent nightmares about weddings. I'm in a veil and a dress and I can't bring myself to walk down the aisle.

We aren't engaged or even planning on marrying each other in the near future, but when I think about spending the rest of my life with Adam, I feel calm. I feel happy. I smile. And that hasn't ever happened to me.

1 comment:

  1. This is probably one of the sweetest things I've ever read, especially regarding how you felt when you first met him. It is funny how things change once you fall in love, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete